Thursday, October 9, 2008

Dumpster Inspiration


I found a vegetarian Buddhist (Buddhist vegetarian?) cookbook in a dumpster the other day.

It's not a regular cookbook, though. It encourages experimentation, discovery, creation, and stumbling into great ideas. The book itself says it better than I can.

This is a book to help you actually cook-- a cooking book. The recipes are not for you to follow, they are for you to create, invent, test.
It explains things you need to know, and things to watch out for. There are plenty of things left for you to discover, learn, stumble upon


Blessings.
You're on your own.
Together with everything.

Pretty life-encompassing for a cookbook.

There's nothing better than inspiration in unexpected places.

Stephen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awe, this made my day, and it's halfway through my evening. Really sealed the deal, Pal.

I almost feel, without explanation, like I'd ruin the prompt the cook-book gives to 'go with it','learn','innovate',and 'make new', but... what is the title of the book? : )

-Alyssa

Sarah said...

Surprise: tonight's dinner plus a side of thought and wonder.

Pretty nice idea, trying to get that kind of idea through to everyday people who just want some good grub.

Almost everything you write seems to come back to the same theme. You found this crazy cookbook in some abstract dumpster. What are the chances?

sschmuldt said...

Haha. When you finish Unbearable Lightness you'll realize how transcendental chance is for me. It's totally subconsciously recurring. =P

And that dumpster was 100 percent tangible, Jerk!

p.s. Alyssa, the book is called Tassajara Cooking by Edward Espe Brown

Kai said...

Ah, Unbearable Lightness. I'm not sure but I think you're kind of a fan of that one.